Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:04
This congregation was founded in 1864, and was the first congregation on the west side of the river. The first Rabbi was Bernard Felsenthal.
In 1869, the congregation moved to Jackson and Sangamon from its previous temple on Desplaines between Washington and Madison. The Chicago Tribune covered the dedication on Sept. 6, 1869. The synagogue was not touched by the fire of 1871. In 1885, the congregation moved to a new temple at Ogden and Washington.
There is a brief history of this congregation in the online version of the Jewish Encyclopedia of 1906.
This congregation merged with Congregation B'nai Abraham in 1918, and the merged congregation subsequently moved to Oak Park, and is now Oak Park Temple B'nai Abraham Zion. Their website has a brief history of this congregation.
1864 - 1885