Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:04
The Sinai Congregation is Chicago’s third oldest synagogue, founded in 1861.
In 1866, the congregation moved to a new building at Van Buren and Third Street (now Plymouth Ct.), having previously met on Monroe just west of Clark. This location was destroyed in the fire of 1871.
A book entitled The Beginnings of the Chicago Sinai Congregation by Bernard Felsenthal was published in Chicago 1898 and is available at the Newberry (Call # F 6187 .29) or through Google Books.
There is a collection of 526 marriages from Sinai Congregation, 1861-1905, posted on Jewishgen at: http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/USA/sinai.htm
The American Jewish Archives in Cincinnati, Ohio holds records of this congregation and has placed a finding aid online. The congregation's current website offers a history of the synagogue.
1861 - 9999