Our Lady of Lourdes
Submitted by gfrere on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:57
Moved to this location: 1929
Moved from this location:
Church records available on microfilm from the Family History Library:
FHL film #1578083 Item 15
FHL film #1578084 Items 1-3
FHL film #1578084 Items 2-3
The original church was a wood frame building with a bell tower. This was replaced by the current Spanish Renaissance style church in 1916 on the east side of Ashland Ave.
In 1929 the city of Chicago and the parish made the decision to move the entire church to the west side of Ashland. The church was also lengthened and turned around at that same time. The church weighed in at 10,000 tons and it was moved at “A foot a minute”.
Some digital images are available online.